What's cooking? Here's a sneak peak of what you may find soon on the blog.

7.26.2010

Thank goodness for leftovers...and why I love thyme

At the end of my long canning adventure with the crushed tomatoes, I was lucky to have just enough left in the pot to make myself a much needed snack. 



To make a quick sauce, I grabbed a clove of garlic, a small shallot and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little spice.  Out of my potted herb garden, I clipped a sprig of thyme and a few leaves of basil. 

Please allow me a moment to digress and explain why I love thyme.  Besides the wonderful taste that just oozes "Italian" to me, it's the perfect herb because it needs no chopping.  Just a pinch and a slide of the hand and it's perfectly sized to add directly to the sauce! 


Ok, back to the sauce.  

In the interest of not having to dirty another pot, I chopped the garlic and shallot and tossed them directly into the leftover crushed tomatoes.  With one slide of my hand, I could add the thyme directly into the pot. (Have I mentioned I love thyme?)  Then, in  goes the pinch of red pepper and a pinch of salt.  I let it all simmer for about 10 minutes, adding some of the reserve tomato juice from my earlier project when the sauce looked like it needed more liquid.  Near the end, I added some ribbons of basil (saving the rest to go on top) and voila!  

I spooned the sauce over some whole wheat angel hair pasta and topped it all off with a generous topping of basil and parmesan.  A quick and utterly delightful meal out of my left over crushed tomatoes.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment