What's cooking? Here's a sneak peak of what you may find soon on the blog.

7.27.2010

Oven Dried Tomatoes

Don't you just love the concentrated burst of flavor in sun-dried tomatoes?  I know I do! For some reason, though, I don't usually cook much with them. Well, that's all about to change.  I found a tempting set of directions in one of my new cook books: Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling by Sherri Brooks Vinton.  The result creates a slightly caramelized dried tomato that is just to die for.   I admit, I ate a small handful before putting the rest away in the freezer.  You could put these in the refrigerator if you plan to use them soon, but the freezer is the best bet for long term storage.  It helps to preserve the color and freshness of the tomatoes better than the refrigerator.
   





Oven Dried Tomatoes




You'll need:

several small, ripe tomatoes of any variety
enough olive oil to lightly coat the tomatoes


Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Remove the core from each tomato, then slice each in half.  



If the tomatoes are not very small, quarter them.  In a bowl, drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes and toss them to coat.  


Lay the tomatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet.  I suggest putting a piece of parchment or a Silpat sheet on the baking sheet before adding the tomatoes. It will make clean up much easier, as the tomatoes will slightly caramelize.

The tomatoes will need at least 5 hours in the oven, depending on their size.  


When they're all done, transfer them to a small freezer safe container to store and enjoy later.

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, I can already tell I am going to be an avid reader of your blog! I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete